Von: Tom Morris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2005 22:19
An: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Betreff: Re: Network goes away when trying to Parallel Format DASD with
Yast2 SUSE9

hi,  Thank you for you input on my problem.  I found out the it was a
QIOAssist problem.  For some reason it was turned ON but I do not know
why!  I have a ticket open with IBM to determine why it was on.

Thanks
Tom.

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 15.02.2005 17:49:19:

> Our Linux guys are trying to do a PARALLEL FORMAT of  2 disks.  They are
> using YAST2 on SUSE9 / z/vm 5.1and when they START the format
> the network on the LINUX guest goes away!!    You can not restart it
then
> only way to get connectivity back is to shutdown and
> reboot the LINUX.  We are using QDIO and direct attached ports to our
TCPIP
> stack on the LINUX guest.
>
> Has anyone else tried to use the PARALLEL FORMAT os SUSE9 or experience
> this type of Network failures!

What kernel version are you running? There have been some fixes for the
qeth network driver since SuSE GA.
Do you have qdio assist activated? If yes, have you applied z/VM
PTF  UM31341 (available since 05/01/21)?

Hope this helps

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards / Un cordial saludo

Christian Bornträger
Linux Software Engineer
zSeries Linux & Virtualization
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH