> This reminds me of a story <abe simpson voice>  . . . back in the old days
> . . . </abe simpson voice>   Some sights that ran large s/360's and
> s/370's
> actually had these boxes plumbed into the duct work for heating, i.e. to
> help heat a building or assist in heating, etc..
> I can remember reading a couple of articles about it in Computer World
> when it was much thicker than it is today.
> Steve G.

>From 1985 to 1997 I worked in a building that did something close to that.
Office areas were heated or cooled by heat pumps above the drop ceiling.
The heat pumps extracted heat from or dumped heat to a mixture of water
and ethylene glycol circulated through pipes. The machine room air was
cooled by Liebert units that dumped heat to the same system of pipes.
In the earlier part of that period we had we had a Liebert chiller
supplying cold water to a big mainframe and dumping heat to the
water/glycol mixture. There was a dry tower on the roof used to warm
or cool the water/glycol mixture as needed. There was also a gas
furnace in the basement to warm the water/glycol mixture in very cold
weather. The building management claimed to achieve significant energy
savings in cold weather because the waste heat from the machine room
enabled the office heat pumps to extract heat from relatively warm
liquid.