i was trying to cluster together some old pentiums that i rescued from the
garbage.  this was 2002 or so.  then, unexplicably, the garage that i
worked from got raided, but i got away with all of the disks out a window,
hitchhikers guide style.  i later collected the machines in the middle of
the night, stashed them in a storage unit, and went travelling.  which led
me to the Internet Engineering Task Force conference in Atlanta, where I
knew I could find friends that would help.  Shortly thereafter I was again
clustering machines, but this time at Linux Labs in atlanta, where I was
eventually kicked out of for, among other things, not keeping office hours
(i mostly only went at night, and had a tendancy to wander around the
27 story peachtree plaza office building in cut off shorts, a ragged shirt
and no shoes), dating the CEO's sister, and smoking in the building.

finding myself back home in daytona, I finally built the cluster that i
wanted, only from better hardware than the pentium 100's, which I guess
would be my true entry into the realm of high performance computing.
several alphaservers later, i scored the 9672 and two sharks for a very
small amount of someone elses money courtesy one military surplus auction.
the shark didn't do what i wanted, so i put linux on it.  when i get the
9672 powered, it will be my first supercomputer that i didn't build
myself.

enjoy,
scott

sleekfreak pirate broadcast