On Wednesday, 03/16/2005 at 04:37 CST, Phil Howard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:56:21PM -0500, Post, Mark K wrote:
>
> | Since I don't have access to an LPAR and HMC, I cannot document
anything
> | that I _know_ works specifically for Slack/390.  Essentially, you just
need
> | to create your CD with the three "starter files" in some directory
name of
> | your choosing.  Then, you'll need to create a ".ins" file to point to
them.

> What is an HMC?
>
> I haven't worked with IBM mainframe hardware for about 12 years.
>

> | path/to/dir/tapeinstall.image-2.4.26.gcc-3.3.4.img 0x00000000
> | path/to/dir/initrd.gz 0x00800000
> | path/to/dir/parmfile.txt 0x00010480
> |
> | The hex values after the file names are storage locations, and
represent
> | what I've seen in .ins files for Red Hat and SUSE.  I have no idea how
those
> | values are derived, or if anything might cause them to be changed.
>
> If these files are being used to emulate a tape drive, I'm curious how
> these hex values get passed through.  I would think that each read ccw
> on the tape drive would read some content from the file, until EOF, then
> skip to the next file.  If I were to put these files on a real tape,
> the hex values wouldn't even be there.

Confusion abounds.  The Hardware Management Console (HMC) has a CD/DVD
drive in it that can read specially-formatted discs as Mark describes.  It
does not emulate a tape drive but is a function built directly into the
machine.  That is, the HMC drive does not appear as a device within the
I/O subsystem.  Booting a partition from this drive causes a binary image
to be loaded from the drive into memory WITHOUT the use of traditional IPL
processing.  You cannot boot the HMC DVD drive into a second-level guest
because there is no way to "give" (from the h/w perspective) the HMC DVD
to a partition and, hence, no way to use it with a guest.

3422 tape emulation using Optical Media Attach (OMA) format is done on
Multiprise 3000, FLEX-ES, and the IBM 2074-2.  IBM-provided CDs (not
DVDs!!) will contain a /tapes directory and a TDF.  Things on here are
IPLable using traditional IPL processing.  Because it is a real device,
you can attach it to a second-level guest and IPL the guest from it.

You have to decide which kind of device you're going to be using: An
emulated tape or the HMC DVD drive.  How you use them and how you build
them are waaaay different.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott