We are in the process of specking out an z/890 with Shark and I went
thru the same types of questions.

For us, it ended up mostly a cost decision as we still needed some of
the Shark to be ficon attached.  So the additional cost of FCP channels
and lparing the Shark would cost us more.

In any matter...

z/VM 5.1 can support FCP attached dasd as FBA devices.  At that point,
anything that runs on VM that supports FBA devices can use the dasd as
FBA.  You can use an existing SAN for VM or any  FBA application under
VM.

z/Linux supports FCP attached storage directly.  It can use SAN
attached storage (something about a SAN Switch enters the discussion
somewhere here....)  With FCP attached storage, you don't have VM
entering the mix.  No VM packs.  You access the storage directly.  You
can have large volumes without the need for LVM.  It should be less
overhead as in a z/VM - FICON - Shark mix, the Shark takes 512 byte
sectored blocks, chains them together to emulated CKD devices, which go
thru the Ficon channels to VM, to Linux that has a device driver that
converts CKD storage back into "linux native" 512 byte blocks so Linux
sees what it is use to.

The mainframe overhead is in the device driver in Linux that emulates
512 byte blocks on mainframe dasd.  How much?  1%, 5%...I don't know.

So if you needed the Shark to be both mainframe and server attached,
the mainframe would need FICON and FCP adapters, and the Shark would
also need FICON and FCP attachments.  (additional cost)

If you use FCP attached dasd, VM doesn't see the dasd, and can't back
it up.  However, Linux can see the dasd and can back it up via mainframe
tape or, if you also have FCP attached tape drives, via server type
tapes.

With FCP attached Shark, you don't seem to have all the goodies that
are in the Shark controller.  I'm not sure about how it caches the dasd
or if it can do Flash Copy or not.  Also Remote Copy and such may also
not be available.

In our case, I was looking to add FCP cards to the z/890 to attach an
existing SAN.  Looking for cheap, or in the case of existing space, free
dasd.  But the FCP cards seemed expensive and as it turned out, wouldn't
reduce the size of the proposed Shark.  So it was just added cost.

We may add FCP cards in the future when we run out of Shark and we are
faced with more 8-packs or buy FCP adapters and use existing SAN space.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/28/05 3:55 PM >>>
After reading the following
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/scsi.html I became very
confused (like I wasn't already)... Anyway, we're trying to move along
with a file server project and because of strict time lines, I'm
trying
to avoid reinventing the wheel. Below is a quick rundown of our system.

We've got a z890 running z/VM 5.1 on one IFL. We're running several
instances of SLES9 in 64 bit mode. Our storage is on a shark and we
have
one SAN defined with 2 fabrics. We define our devices in 3 ways, both
in
an effort to have some redundancy;

    - As your traditional 3390 device (not a part of this question).
    - As an emulated FBA minidisk (9336) with two defined paths (one
through each fabric).
    - And as a FCP device, using EVMS on Linux to multipath through
each
fabric.

My questions are about the latter two devices. The above document only
talks about single path connectivity. How would multipathing effect
these different devices? How does the multiple layers (e.g. EVMS, LVM,
etc...) effect these devices? In the document above it suggests a
substantial increase in CPU for an I/O operation to an FBA device as
opposed to an FCP device, how would multipathing effect this? How much
overhead is there with EVMS maintaining a multipathed FCP device?
Lastly, LVM1 is only available for an EVMS managed disk, is there a
noticeable increase in overhead between LVM1 and LVM2 (which can be
used
with a FBA device)?

I guess I don't really need specific answers to these questions, just
an
idea as to what others are doing. Like I said before, I'd rather not
reinvent the wheel. If anyone could shed some light on which one of
these devices (Emulated/multipathed/LVM2/FBA or EVMS/LVM1/FCP)
would/should perform better, that would be GREAT!

Mark Wiggins
University of Connecticut
Operating Systems Programmer
860-486-2792

send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit