There is a fair amount of confusion, and some disagreement in
this area. I would not just add QUICKDSP to all my guests.
However, there are three types of guests that should have QUICKDSP
set ON:
1. Any server virtual machine that is key to operation of the system
   (Barton describes this as 'an extension of the operating system').
   This includes your security manager, accounting, file servers, etc.
2. Critical guests- My definition: any guest that if it were to stop
   running for a period of time could result in someone being fired.
3. The VM userid you use to do tuning (so if you make a mistake you
   can undo it).

The QUICKDSP setting exempts the virtual machine from having to sit
time out in the eligible list. It does not exempt the virtual machine
from being dropped from the dispatch list.

Relative share and absolute share usage can also be a religious
discussion. Relative is convenient because you can use it to give
a 'relatively' higher priority without needing to necessarily
understand actual resources consumed (though that helps). That is
Relative 2000 virtual machine would have 20 times better access to
resources than default Relative 100 share virtual machine. Now,
using Absolute share requires a bit more planning upfront, but it
can be necessary for certain guests. Remember Relative share is
relative to which virtual machines are competing for resources. So
with Relative share, as the number of competing virtual machines
increases, the effective priority of a relative share virtual
machine decreases. This may not be what you want.

A little more discussion on this occurs at
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/linuxper.html
with some links to more details.

That covers the major options that can be set in
the VM directory. The other command (sorry can't
be set in directory) that you might want to
be familiar with is CP SET RESERVE to give some
favoritism of memory for a guest. I haven't seen
it needed in many Linux z/VM environments, but it
is worth knowing about it.

Bill Bitner - VM Performance Evaluation - IBM Endicott - 607-429-3286