On Wednesday, 04/06/2005 at 11:36 EST, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I doubt we have device queuing on CP-owned volumes.

If you aren't getting queues, then PAV will provide no benefit.

The primary reason PAVs exist is to provide relief to fully-populated z/OS
systems with 256 chpids and 64K devices.  In such configurations the dasd
has no choice but to get bigger and bigger.  Because of the high-volume
database transactions common to z/OS systems, PAVs are used to minimize
the latency introduced by device queuing.

As I said, I'm not against PAVs on moral grounds or anything, I just want
to be sure that everyone asking for PAV support for CP-owned volumes
(minidisks, paging, spooling) realize what problem it is meant to solve.
If there's contention on a volume with minidisks, VM at least lets you
move the minidisks around to let you manage the performance.  I.e. we can
solve it administratively instead of with technology.

It's been a lively discussion!

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott