On Apr 14, 2005, at 1:11 PM, McKown, John wrote:

Just for grins and giggles, I created an SSH private key/public key
pair. I can now use PuTTY to logon to Linux without using my Linux
password. Instead, I must use a "Passphrase". What have I gained? I did
replace my password with a passphrase, but how is that more secure?

Unix passwords are traditionally limited to 8 characters. No such restriction exists on passphrase length. Mine is somewhere in the 40 or 50 character range, I believe. Very, very difficult to brute-force.

Adam