Tom,

> ... must be added to Linux as a Linux user, Samba share and in the
> SMBPASSWD file (using smbpasswd as the backend, no LDAP etc, yet).

I will agree with the Linux user and smbpasswd, but not the Samba share.
The special [homes] section exists to avoid having to create separate
shares in the smb.conf file.  If when you create the user you also create
a home directory (-m flag to the useradd command), that directory becomes
a share with the share name being the user name.  This feature definitely
saves work in that the smb.conf file does not have to be modified.

> no LDAP etc,
This is definitely the way to go for the long term.  My experience has
been SLES9 makes it much easier as LDAP and Samba are integrated more
tightly into the install process and yast. See my recent SHARE
presentations on http://linuxvm.org/present/

One setup that I haven't gotten to (but I'd like to) is to be able to
change passwords from the Windows Ctrl-Alt-Del panel and have both the
Windows and Linux password hashes modified in LDAP on Linux.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061