On May 4, 2005, at 11:27 AM, James Melin wrote:

ACtual problems are still well into the future here - I'm still
theoretical.

I have a pair of 3490 tape drives that I could have in my
configuration....
I would love to do more granular backups than DFDSS can provide....
I like
the idea of backing up linux to datasets that are 'active0' meaning
migrate
immediately via NFS. I'm also open to directly accessing tape via
management/backup process running natively on Linux, which it seems
that
Bacula could provide. Anything is likely to be an improvement over
backing
up boulders when I could be backing up pebbles instead.

The first thing works immediately, by doing file-based backup into an
NFS-mounted directory which is really under the control of DFSHSM.

The second thing also works, by replacing mtx-changer with our tape-
mounting interface, and letting your VM system handle the actual tape
manipulation while allowing bacula to think that it is talking to a
SCSI autochanger.

Adam