My initial guess is that it doesn't use the volume label.  I know that you
can change device numbers, and device names and lvm will still find it.

However, don't take my word for it.  i've screwed up before.

-----Original Message-----
From: Uriel Carrasquilla [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 5:00 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: risk if I relabel an LVM DASD Volume

Question:
would my volume-group and logical-volume (LVM) be in trouble if I re-label
one or more of the physical volumes allocated to the lv?
I forgot to label the volumes when I created them and my zOS guy is getting
them in his reports (bad label).  We use zOS DF/DSS for backups so I am very
much forced into having the correct label.
I was thinking to IPL SLES-9 without the LVM's in /etc/fstab.  That way I
could do the "fdasd -l xxx".
My other option is to backup the data, delete the LV-group/volume.
Re-label.  Then put it back.  A lot of work.
any suggestions are welcome, except killing the zOS guy.

Regards,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NCCI
Boca Raton, Florida
561.893.2415
greetings / avec mes meilleures salutations / Cordialmente mit freundlichen
Grüßen / Med vänlig hälsning

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message
may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is
privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit