I don't agree with you:

Why to have so many penguins? Linux is a multiuser multitask O/S, and
works nice, so there is no need put every application to different O/S. 1
IFL: the processor speed is the mainframe's weekness so having more
VM+kernel+... overhead is not a good idea.

We have here big LPARs for production systems and some with small storage
to test kernels, distributions, etc.

Yes, there are some good reasons to choose VM, but only if you have
special needs.. (or just our shop is too simple, and I'm a bit
narrow-minded :)

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> írta 2005.07.09 21:41:21
időpontban:

> [...]
>   VM can do this with any type of disk device with minidisks.  So if you
> only need 200 MB for a Linux swap disk, you don't have to dedicate an
> entire volume if you can't create a 200 MB disk.
>
> With VM, you get vdisk support (Take that!...LPAR)  Create the swap disk
> in memory.  Doesn't take any space unless it is used and then it is the
> fastest thing alive.
>
> If you have FlashCopy, without VM, you have problems using the duplicate
> volumes without creating another LPAR and backing things up there.  With
> VM, there are better or I should say easier ways to handle duplicate
> volumes.
>
> Tape drive sharing in VM is a breeze.  With LPAR, it can be done, but it
> seems to me to be harder.
>
> The more Linux images you want, the more you need VM.
>
> Linux test systems?  Easy in VM.
> Linux development systems?  Easy in VM.
> Dedicated Linux images for certain workloads?  Easy in VM.  And easier
> to tune and define priorities.
>
> Central console management is easy in VM (doesn't require chargeable
> software, just use PROP).  Console automation also.
>
> Speaking of performance, performance tools, such as from Velocity
> Software, can be well worth the price.  Nothing similar for a Linux on
> multiple LPAR shops.
>
> This may be just wishful thinking, but the z/890 that was just delivered
> to us this past week...I expect the run the IFL side, with multiple
> Linux images, totally "lights out".  Of course this is with a Shark 800
> and and IBM VTS for tape.
>
> Disclaimer...
> I'm a VM bigot for the last 30 or so years.
>
> Tom Duerbusch
> THD Consulting
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > We are upgrading our system to a z890 (and getting a new HMC) which is
now
> > installed and running on the old hardware a z800.  I see a new feature
> > (Integrated Ascii Console) and I have been searching for a redpaper or
> > existing e-mail archives from this list on how to cofigure so I can
use this
> > console to work with Linux instead of the horrible existing HMC single
line
> > mode interface.  Can someone point me to documentation or some
instructions
> > about how to get this interface to work.  Now when I click on the icon
on
> > the HMC I just gat a blank window with no text and I cannont type
anything
> > into it.
> >
> > TIA -- by the time I get any responses (and assuming things go well) I
will
> > be running Linux on a 890 box - still without VM.  The IBM rep here
just
> > told me that VM to manage Linux only (running on our single IFL) is
> > reasonable.  Can someone confirm that.  We are (like most companies)
trying