Hum,

Under LPAR or z/VM, I would have thought that would be "transparent" due
to the "Physical CP" to "Logical CP" mapping done by them. Also, 99% of
the time, when a CP fails, the hardware automatically switches to a
spare CP (if there is one) with no OS intervention at all. I think that
the OS gets some sort of interrupt so that it can record the error, but
no error recovery is required by the OS in this case. We had this occur
on a z800 running z/OS 1.4. Nobody even noticed until I went into the
NOC and saw the "Hardware" ICON flashing blue. The NOC people pay very
little attention to the z800. Only if there is a visible problem with
some job or somebody else calls them. They're too busy watching all the
Windows boxes.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.