Lance:

am I correct in saying that the mount point for the /dev/opt/opt (lvm) file
system is /opt?
The approach I follow when creating something like an /opt is to create an
/opt-bkup before proceeding (ie. copy recursive opt to opt-bkup).
Then I create the vgopt and lvopt (lvm) so I don't have to be checking my
glasses by seein double images: opt opt.
Then, I manually go through the process (i.e. no yast) and go as far as the
step when I am supposed to mount the /opt for the LVM (vgopt and lvopt).
Instead of mounting on /opt, I munt on /mnt/copy so I can populate my new
LVM with data from my /opt-bkup.
Then, I just go to my /etc/fstab, point my LVM to /opt and I reboot.

What you may want to do is remove the LVM info pointing in /etc/fstab point
your /opt to /dev/opt/opt.   If your original /opt has not been corrupted,
you should be OK.  If you did it through yast and yast tried to delete /opt
before creating it, your data might be gone and your backup will become
your best friend.

Hope this help and thank you for reminding us all about doing our backups.

Regards,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NCCI
Boca Raton, Florida
561.893.2415
greetings / avec mes meilleures salutations / Cordialmente
mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänlig hälsning

                      "Longstreth,

                      Lance"                   To:
LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:

                      ag.com>                  Subject:  Problem with
/dev/opt/opt at boot
                      Sent by: Linux on

                      390 Port

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      IST.EDU>

                      07/18/2005 09:49

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      Linux on 390 Port

Need some guidance here

  We issued the shutdown command for a Linux test image and after it
went down we IPL'ed the LPAR. In the boot process coming up  we are
receiving a the message that /dev/opt/opt  a LVM reiserfs file system
has problems. I can see from the log that FSCK has tried to fix the
problem, but is unable to. It then issues the message to run it
manually.
  I have attempted to run it manually issuing the command FSCK.REISERFS
--rebuild-sb /dev/opt/opt. When I issues this command it tells me it
cannot find the device?  Anyone have thoughts as to how I could recover
this?
   We were lacks and had not yet made backups of this LVM file system ,
so I can not restore it from a back-up. I do have a TAR file back-up of
the complete system that resides on another LVM file system. This could
be used to rebuild the systems, if I could get the system up. But can
not access this because the system does not boot up high enough to get
to these files. Is their a way to bypass what's on /opt and get the
system up? I could then make a new /opt filesystems if I could just get
the system up.
   Another thought I had was to modify the /etc/fstab file and take the
entry for /dev/opt/opt out of it. But, we are unable to connect to the
partition via ssh. I am communicating with the system via the HMC
reading the message console for the LPAR? Using this method the screen
are not friendly and trying to use VI is impossible, as I can't read the
screen when in VI from the message console.

Thanks for your comments and advice ,

Lance Longstreth
Bandag Inc
Technical Support & Operations
zOS systems/Linux
1-(563)-262-2927
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This
message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and
as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail, and delete the original message.