Personal opinion time. If it were me, I'd have done exactly the same
thing. It is not as if you are really "unsupported". PHP does not affect
the kernel or modules or ... It only affects PHP and Apache.

If you have a problem that is not PHP, still report it back to SuSE. If
SuSE (or anybody else's) attitude is "you made a change, so go roll a
hoop!" (hopefully not likely), then I'd basically tell them "no fix, no
money!" Again, I really don't see SuSE doing this. It would be like IBM
saying "You run CA-1 on z/OS and are having a problem with ISPF? Well,
we cannot help you because you have non IBM software installed!"

If you have a problem with PHP, you can still report it directly back to
the maintainer. They may well say "we don't have a zSeries for testing",
but if you have given them really good debugging information, I'll bet
they would a least give a look. It may have an effect on other 64-bit
systems, such as the EM64T from Intel or the AMD Athlon64 or Opteron.

Again, personal opinion. But then, I maintain what __used to be__ a RH
9.0 Linux/Intel system at home from source since RH stopped maintaining
or updating anything other than RHEL. I don't use Fedora, but I guess
that I could. Actually, I have SuSE 9.0 Professional on my laptop, so if
I "upgrade" the other Linux, it will be to SuSE.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.