Hi

I have one question about running linux on z/VM and z/VM memory
management.

My current environment (production)

Total real memory = 12GB
Total page volumes = +- 5GB
Total memory allocation to linux servers (guests) = 7104MB (+- 7GB)
Paging usage = 40 - 50% (2GB - 2.5GB)
XSTORE = 2GB (just recently added after noticing paging did happen in z/VM
though we have enough real memory)

Main storage used by z/VM is only  5GB (meaning at any one time, 2 GB or more
will be swapped off)

Operating Systems:
z/VM 4.4
SLES 8.1 SP4 (31-bit)

I observed that by default, memory mode for linux guest is V=V. Hence, z/VM
takes control of memory management. Since I have enough real memory, why z/VM
still does the paging? Any way to avoid paging on z/VM. I would prefer
to let linux server to have real memory (V=R). Any comments on this? And
how to set it in the user direct? Any fine-tuning can be done?

I also heard that V=R will not be supported in z/VM 5.1. Is it true?

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Sent via the AlumMail https://alumni.nus.edu.sg