On 7/27/05, Adam Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think Herc on a modern box would give you, what, about 40 MIPS?  So
> it'd be about 1/5 the speed, which would be even more intolerable for
> actual work, but you could do it.

I wrote a quick little benchmark yesterday to try to determine the
theoretical maximum MIPS. I ran the test under the recently released
CentOS 4.1 for S/390. When I ran the test using one processor I was
able to hit about 50 MIPS. I then split it into four processes (I have
2 real processors + 2 hyperthreaded) and was able to get 76 MIPS.
During actual Linux usage with multiple processors and multitasking
I'm usually in the 40 - 60 MIPS range. As I said above, this on a dual
3.0 GHz Xeon system with 2GB RAM now running Fedora Core 4 x86_64.

The "benchmark" program is just a little hack but if anyone wants to
see it, here's the code:
http://timbo87.home.comcast.net/temp/herc/benchmark.c

-Tim