> - Guest Linux SuSE 8 with Oracle 10g. Definition of 2G and
> SGA 1.7G (I know is big, but it's the one with better results)

You don't say how you have Linux paging configured -- VDISK or real disk. If
real disk, I'm not surprised that reducing the size of the machine caused
problems. A 2G virtual machine is highly likely to be the cause of some of
your problems -- you've pushed every button to cause the below-2G thrashing
that Barton and others have identified.

Suggestions:

1) ensure that you have plenty of VM paging space available.

2) Ensure that you have XSTORE defined for CP use (I think you said you did,
but check for certain).

3) Ensure that your Linux guests are paging to several small VDISKs (I've
had good success with 1 VDISK at 25-30% of virtual machine size, 1 VDISK at
50% of virtual machine size) and then a single real disk about 50% of
virtual machine size. Make sure that you have swap priority set to favor the
VDISKs with the smallest one first in the list, then the 2nd VDISK, then the
real disk.

4) Reduce the size of the virtual machine to 500M and test. If you see
significant paging from the Linux side, gradually increase the size of the
virtual machine in 64M increments until you see about 25-30% usage of Linux
swap in steady state.

5) Try starting with your SGA at 65% of virtual machine size. Once you get a
stable swap environment, then you can start tinkering with SGA size.

Tuning in this environment is counter-intuitive. Change one thing at a time,
and measure each time.

-- db