> OS VS/1, OS VS/2 (MVS and maybe SVS) were current at the
> time. I've not run Hercules for a while but as I recall one
> can define an FBA device to and use it to read a CD. It might
> be that that only works for DOS: I have a couple of 3370s
> defined (I've just checked my archive), but the file name
> suggests they might not be MVS volumes.

Probably not. VS1 and VS2 had to be patched for 3380 support, and I don't
remember any announcements for 3370 or other FBA devices for MVS or SVS.

(I *really* wish IBM would bring back the announcement and sales manual
archives for the no-longer-marketed stuff in some form. It's really annoying
not to be able to look this up online any more. I'd even pay for a copy of
that older material -- it's not like it's competitive information any
longer...sigh.)