The exec I listed last week, didn't allow for the return of the results,
at least in the form that the exec could parse thru.

However, you can always (linux form) pipe the results to a file and
then ftp the file back to the calling exec.  Then parse the results
there.

I've not had the need to do this with Linux, yet, but I do have some
VM/Windows applications that do the same thing.  i.e.  initiate some
process on the pc, send the resulting data to CMS, stage the data to
tape, report results back to PC, send "OK" to user if everything is just
fine.

Sure it is klunky.

We need something simular to the P/390 utilities, "OS2" command and
"OS2PIPE".  That allowed CMS users to send commands to the OS2 side of
the P/390 and return the results.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting