De: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] En nombre de
Scully, William P
Enviado el: martes, 16 de agosto de 2005 18:13
Para: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Asunto: SLES 9 in an LPAR

I'm having a performance problem.

I was asked to install SLES 9 64-bit into an LPAR.  To create the server
I got my hands on the needed DASD and conducted the install of Linux
under z/VM.  The virtual hardware configuration (DASD and OSA addresses)
were specified as would be used on the LPAR.  As usual, the installation
went well.  The resulting copy of Linux can be booted under z/VM in
perhaps a minute or two.

However when I attempt to start this copy of Linux in an LPAR (512M and
one dedicated CPU in an IFL on a 2094-313), it runs so slow you might
think the software was written by folks in Redmond, Washington.  It
takes perhaps 15-20 minutes to boot.  At times it seems to be completely
unresponsive, even to the directly-connected HMC "Operating System
Message" panel.

I've encoded the so-called kernel timer patch both enabled and disabled,
to no avail.  And limited the DASD the kernel is to use with a
DASD=nnnn-nnnn phrase in zipl.conf.  But clearly I've missed something
pretty obvious.  Anyone have an idea?

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390