> I have a quick question.  Is anyone using Samba running under
> linux on the zSeries?

Yes, both internally and at customers.

> If so, what's the number of clients
> you have connecting and the performance of the box?

The largest one I'm aware of is about 6500 regular client users. Performance
is fairly linear (obviously proportional to # of clients connecting and
traffic volume), but we found that printing was much higher overhead than
file serving (it's burstier traffic, and given the propensity of micro apps
to create big graphic bitmap blobs, there's a lot more data there). Normal
use for that instance is about 75% of a z800 CPU during the day; it's got
about 5 TB of FCP SCSI disk attached.

We've found Samba 3 to be very stable and reliable. We have thought about
splitting that instance into several smaller ones for easier backup/restore,
but haven't had time to do so.

-- db