> I can see how you can address (1) - maintain a second TCPIP
> service machine - say TCPIP2. Bring up z/VM without AUTOLOG
> and manually bring up TCPIP2. But how to address (2)? Is
> anyone doing this?

1) Ensure the VM install has a unique MACPREFIX in SYSTEM CONFIG.

2) Ensure that each NICDEF or DEF NIC command specifies a unique value for
MAC interface address.

3) Use DHCP to distribute networking information for guests. Configure
entries in DHCP server to match for specific MAC addresses.

4) (optional) use DDNS to register the DHCP-assigned addresses. You'd
probably need to separate the guests into a separate DNS zone to control the
registration behavior, but that's not a bad idea anyway.

Transparent for production or DR, and trivially implementable if DR turns
real.

-- db