On Maw, 2005-09-13 at 10:51 -0400, Uriel Carrasquilla wrote:
> I am not an authority and I only have a cursory understanding of XEN.
> It seems to me that once you have zVM there is no need for XEN.
> My understanding is that XEN runs a common kernel for both Linux images.
> It does it by modifying the kernel so it can switch back and forth.
> I can see someone using it in an environment such as Intel while trying to
> build a system system in the same box.

The essence of Xen is para-virtualisation. What that actually means is
"don't virtualise the real hardware because it is hard but provide a
different efficient interface and do so in a secure fashion". Xen now
has test support for real hardware virtualisation extensions on upcoming
x86 processors so it is becoming more similar as the relevant ideas get
into the x86 silicon. With hardware support Xensource have actually
demonstrated Windows on Xen, although unlike vmware (which does it the
hard way) it can't run Windows virtualised on generic x86 silicon.

Alan