<delurk>

PL/X?  True, but I personally think that is not the primary reason.

Parts of z/VSE are in PL/X, but you can get the source.  You just can't do
anything with it.  :-)

For a while, PL/X was offered to ISV's at a price.  I don't know if anyone
ever took them up on it, though (maybe one or two).

IBM might still be a little gun-shy about releasing source (think Hitachi
and Fujitsu).  And I've heard rumors that Fujitsu-Siemens' (née
Siemens-Nixdorf, née Siemens, née...) VM2000 hypervisor was based on the
last public domain version of VM/370 (although made 31-bit friendly).

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins