Eli Criffield wrote:
> Is there anything about the s390 architecture that would be a bad
> match for reiserfs?
Not really much. Our volumes do typically have 4k block size which is
different from 512 byte per block on other architectures. This has
triggered some issues in the past. I am not aware of a concrete issue
with reiserfs on s390 at this time.
Reiserfs is famous minimizing head movement on a harddisk, which gives
it some nice benchmark results on Intel hardware.
With a ESS/Shark or similar intelligent device, that does'nt really pay
out as much as it does on a "real" disk because our "disk" is a virtual
thing anyway.
btw: IDE harddisks are going to have 4k block size as well in the near
fututre, hopefully leading to less filesystem related bugs we need to
take care of...
--

Carsten Otte
IBM Linux technology center