Welcome to Monday... I've had something I am either insufficiently
caffeinated to figure out, or this is something more subtle...

In any case, I installed a SLES-9 system, which then rebooted and came back
for configuration. After I did the remaining bits, hardening with Bastille,
etc, installing stuff we want on all Linux systems we plan to clone, I did
another reboot.

I get the following error:

Setting up network interfaces:
    lo
    lo        IP address: 127.0.0.1/8
[1A..doneWaiting for mandatory devices:  qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.9000
14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
    qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.9000               No interface found
[1A..failed

Thats the only thing in the startup that seems to have any bearing that I
saw.

the config file for qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.9000 is:

cat ifcfg-qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.9000
BOOTPROTO="static"
UNIQUE=""
STARTMODE="onboot"
IPADDR="1**.**.100.134"
MTU="1500"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
NETWORK="1**.**.100.0"
BROADCAST="1**.**.100.255"

With the exception of the IP address this file looks like the one in the
other Sles-9 system I have running which is behaving as expected.