On 10/10/05, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To be clear, my proposal was the the Linux return code remains constant.
> --rc would prefix the stdout output with the CP return code.

That was certainly not clear, otherwise I would have disagreed sooner :-)

Separation of the prefaced return code and the output is not easy in
shell scripts (especially since we lack multi-stream pipelines and a
'not' stage).

I would prefer the --rc to make the $? carry the CP return code (and
map unexpected Linux events into a negative value). I can see some
value in writing the response to stderr for rc>0 but I am not sure you
want that.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij                  rvdheij @ gmail.com