Rick Troth wrote:
> Maybe I'm a fool.  I already had
> one of our wiser members tell me privately to give up.
Please don't. We might get to a point where we have
a common understanding on a) what is needed and b) how we
can possibly get there in a [by linux means] "clean" way.

I think that Martin is right to be critical about a generic
diagnose interface, but fact is that he did favor an
implementation that makes functionality of a specific
diagnose available to userland: diag8.
I don't see why other clean implementations of userspace
access to a specific diagnose would not be accepted:
Martin pointed out the diagnose 250 dasd device module
as another example, the functionality can be used via the
block device interface.

Which concrete diagnose codes do you think are useful to
be called from Linux userspace different from diag8?
--

Carsten Otte
IBM Linux technology center