> Spin ... if the open() fails because of EBUSY,
> then wait some fraction of a second and try again.
> Or fail immediately with a  "the hypervisor is busy".
> If after a wait and re-try it fails again,  then fail
> with the busy error message,  or wait a second interval.
>
> This is not rocket science.
> It's not elegant either,  but functional.

No, imagine one of your automatic system maintenance
scripts crashes for some reason.
Then you have to solve the "vmcp is locked" situation
manually or implement a "steal lock" method - ugly.

I think, that the command/return code query should be as
atomic as possible to prevent concurrent vmcp calls from
disturbing each other. I think for application programmers
this is quite simple, they can always use the device node,
which guaqrantees to separate each call from others.

The only open question is, how to solve our needs in
scripts. I still like the stderr method, but will discuss
this question with some colleagues if we can think of a
better method.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards / Un cordial saludo

Christian Bornträger
Linux Software Engineer
zSeries Linux & Virtualization
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH