John Summerfied wrote:

> The nice thing about /proc and (apparently) /sys is that one can, at a
> pinch, control many functions by simply reading with cat and writing
> with echo. There are several things particular to my Toshiba laptop that
> I can control in this way, and if I can do that then I can write a
> script to automate something (eg choosing runlevel based on which of
> three buttons is used to boot the computer). I recall previous
> discussion on controlling DASD devices using similar entries (in /proc),
> and one commonly sees advice to turn (network) forwarding on or off
> using "echo >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward 1"
The cat&echo tactics is dangerous because it is racy: you echo your command
into it. Becuase the file descriptor is closed between cat&echo, someone
else may issue a different command or read your result before you cat the
procfile. That cannot happen with the vmcp way to handle it, you'll always
see _your_ response.
--

Carsten Otte
IBM Linux technology center