Ok. Thanks. I thought the chccwdev thing was all I really needed but wasn't
100% certain. I went forward using that as the replacement to echoing a
command request ala sles 8 and it all was fine. Must say the device
detection/allocation is much improved in SLES 9.

             "Post, Mark K"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Temporarily adding DASD to SLES
                                       9 systems
             10/11/2005 04:43
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

I wouldn't think there are any "gotchas," per se.  The only thing you
need to be aware of is the chccwdev command to bring the new volumes
online after they've been attached or linked to the guest.