> Individual DIAGs can have their own variables in /sysfs/zvm/diag/nn as
> appropriate. The lock mechanism is simple to implement in arbitrary
> languages (works trivially in Fortran -- my favorite test), and is general
> enough to accommodate arbitrary DIAGs.
>
> Once that basic structure is in place, then generating the individual
> /dev/diag<nn> drivers are a plug-n-chug problem.

Which basically is the same as generic DIAG, the only difference being
that you are wrapping it in something. The more I follow this thread the
more generic diag seems right, even if it has a bitmask of "not
supported" diags that have "hard" features and a kernel side
table/function handlers for hard cases that people can contribute
updates to when they need a specific interface.

Alan