Edmund R. MacKenty wrote:
James Melin writes:

Actually, if you have the disk as ext3, you get gazillions of errors when
it is R/O because the system that is mounting the disk R/O tries to use the
journal too but it cant open it R/W.

This is only true if you mounted the device read-write in Linux.  Any time
you are using a read-only device, you should be sure to use the "ro" mount
option, or you'll waste a lot of cycles.

Also, setting the "noatime" option can save a lot of work too.  Linux
normally writes each i-node every time you read a file, to update the
last-access time.  The "noatime" mount option turns that off, thus speeding
up reads.  I use this on most filesystems because I don't care about when
files are accessed.  Note that you can't use this on your mail spool,
though, because most mail clients use the difference between last-modified
and last-accessed to tell if there are new messages or not.

They do?
That cannot work where email is stored in a single file.

It would fail if I backed up the mail spool after mail was received and
before it's read.

What happens if I write an email server that uses a database to store email?

What about if the mail's on an NT server?

I don't believe it.

--

Cheers
John