Presumably,  z/VM can use the volume as an EDEV without having a
VOL1 label or allocmap.   If that does work,  then it could be
ATTACHed to a Linux guest as a 9336.   Certainly a real 9336
can be ATTACHed to a guest without having a label or allocmap.

I DO KNOW,  and can tell you "this works",  that mainframe Linux
is happy to use a PC-style partition table  (ala 'fdisk').
I must also add that  'fdisk'  itself is a little confused about it.
I think it is getting some wrong geometry info from the DASD driver
(since we are going thru that code and not thru the SCSI driver).

AT THIS MOMENT,  I do have a Linux/390 guest running on FBA with
three partitions.   Those partitions were defined with  'fdisk'
some months back.   Presumably,  one could  'dd'  copy the 9336
(which is a slice of an EDEV,  and is SCSI behind the scenes)
to offset zero of a PC disk  (whether IDE or SCSI,  dunno if matters)
but I have not tried that.

The DASD driver,  of course,  limits me to three partitions.
Again,  I think it is from the DASD driver that I'm getting some
confusion when  'fdisk'  tries to interpret what it has written.

-- R;