Don't let the compile times scare you.  It is long established that the
zSeres processors are not the fastest on the market, far from it.  What
you gain by running on zSeries is extremely fast internal communications
with Hipersockets and Virtual Switch, high I/O bandwidth (FICON and SCSI
disk support) and the economies of scale of being able to run multiple
middleware machines with only the license cost of the zSeries CPUs.

Will you be able to consolidate all of your x86 machines to zSeries?
That greatly depends upon what is running on those machines and how
heaily loaded they are.  Measuring their current load (before and after)
is important.

You've touched on one of the best ways to run Linux for zSeries
machines, cut back their virtual machine sizes to only what they need.
For the most part, ignore that your Linux 'experts' tell you for memory
sizes.  Chances are they will de-tune your environment.  Cut back their
size to the point where they just start to swap, then bump it up a
LITTLE.  Vdisk swap is great for bursts of activity, as long as the
swapping is not constant and high, you should be running just fine.

Miller, Ila wrote:
We have SuSe enterprise linux 9 running on 6 zVM partitions.  We are
running VM in an IFL - one cpu on a z900.  One linux is the clone copy
that is pushed out to clone the other partitions.  One linux clone is
running a mail relay that isn't very busy.  Three linux are running
apache, tomcat, ant, cvs, and java.  These are not in production yet and
are not doing much of anything other than running all the applications.
One linux is supposed to be a Tivoli Gateway, but we continue to have
problems with Tivoli and Enterprise Linux 9.

It appears a compile on any of the linux takes a very long time and
compares to a Pentium III processor speed.  Is this what we can expect
running linux under zVM?  We were anticipating we could eliminate 10 x86
servers at least.  Even though we were given a deal on the IFL, if it
cannot run 5-6 linux partitions, it does not make sense to add the
overhead of maintaining zVM.

One of the sys admins 'found a way to achieve the memory restrictions
for a Linux guest and still allow Tomcat/java to run.

There are a couple of kernel parameters that allow a process to malloc
more memory than is phycisally on the machine, specifically
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory.

We can use this and implement swapping to vdisk. By starting the guests
with say 100 MB of RAM, we should be able to limit the amount of RAM
used for file buffering. At the very least this should enable us to
create smaller footprint guests in RAM terms.

However, all that said, I'm still concerned we're trying to get Formula
One performance out of a pinto.

Are we going down the wrong path trying to run linux under zVM to
eliminate all the x86 boxes we have?  I would like to have feed back on
what kind of performance we can expect to get out of a 1 cpu z/VM on the
z900 IFL and how many linux can run there?

Ila Z. Miller
Health Care Information Systems
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:  319.356.0067
FAX: 319.356.3521

Notice: This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may
be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to
the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it.
Thank you.

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Main: (262)392-2026
Cell: (414)491-6001
Ans Service:  (360)715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2006 - Chattanooga, TN - April 7-11, 2006