On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Carsten Otte wrote:

> shogunx wrote:
> > Thats the only standpoint I need...  The 390 is a R&D environment, not
> > used in production, and we own it outright.  SO, theoretically, I could
> > slap a larger hd in the console of the 390, run linux on it, telnet into
> > the 390, and mount a partition of the drive in the console as the
> > DASD via network block device, thereby eliminating the need for an
> > external SAN to provide DASD?  I know, I lose redundancy, etc, but I can't
> > seem to acquire code to operate the SSA SerialRAID controllers in my
> > Shark, which I ported linux to.
> Interresting project to port Linux to your shark ;-).

I had to.  I couldn't get higher than "service" priveleges on the shark
hosts to be able to do anything with it when I bought it used, so my
workaround was yank the 9gb system disk, put a filesystem and kernel on
in(gentoo with a hand tweaked kernel compiled on a 7025 running SuSE), put
it back in the shark, and boot.  loop that a few times for trial
and error on the kernel/fs and it worked.  they are nice hosts, as I'm
sure you know.  lack of code for the SSA subsystem and PCI expansion
enclosures is a bit of a pain, but better than no access to the host.

> It *should* work  as
> far as I can tell, but be aware that you can run into nasty deadlocks once
> you don't have a local swap disk: you'll need networking for paging/disk IO,
> and once linux is hard out of memory networking is suspended until there is
> memory available => deadlock.

How would that be different than having swap on standard SAN housed
DASD?  Does ficon/escon not suspend under those conditions?

> Workaround could be to have a ramdisk or z/VM DCSS as swap target, or to go
> to church once a week ;-).

Ramdisk would probably do the job.  I'll start by installing linux on the
bare metal of the 9672.  BTW, there are only 5 processors live on this
particular 9672, I suppose I would have to pay to get the other 7
functional?

Thanks,
Scott

> cheers,