On Thursday, 11/17/2005 at 11:51 EST, Doug Carroll
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, This was brought up in a recent lab/class in Poughkeepsie.
> Currently under VM including VM 5.2 being released this constraint still
> exists.  the SIE instruction as stated is being emulated in software in
> second level VM system.  I think Denise said they where working on
> improving this but currently and in 5.2 you will see degration in
> performance and we did witness it in the class.

This is not quite correct.  There is no simulation or emulation of the SIE
instruction.  If a guest issues SIE and the Interpretive Execution
Facility is not available, CP will "reshape" the guest's SIE instruction
such that it can be issued by CP on the guest's behalf.  The "Pancake
Effect" (as I call it) continues until the Facility is available and the
SIE instruction runs in hardware.

This is an issue with hardware, not software.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott