Ranga Nathan wrote:

Subject
Re: Using SAMBA / NFS for data interchange between Windows and Linux - any
reservations?

Sorry, not answering your question ... but appending my own to it ...

We do lots of ftps as well and using NFS/SAMBA sounds like an
interesting alternative.  However, we just went through an audit and one
of the requirements that came out of that is that all transfers have to
be encrypted.

All our transfers are inside the company, within our intranet.
 So we're using ftp with TLS/SSL encryption.  Does
SAMBA/NFS encrypt data?

Does Windows?

I suppose you could "encourage" either by use of ssh and port
forwarding, but note ssh doesn't forward udp.

If we want external customers plug into it, the we give them a VPN tunnel.
The can see their folders and drop off / pickup.
z/OS does SMB too. Although I do not have a say in that area, that would
be a neat solution.

No reason I know you can't run a VPN internally too. The Powers That Be
will have to choose between security and CPU usage:-)

webdav might be an alternative: I've not explored its use, but I expect
it will work over https.

--

Cheers
John