On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:10 AM, James Melin wrote:

I know there is an interface to have VM tell Linux to shutdown. Is
there a
good way to have VM be told that a guest is shutdown and can be
logged off?

Well, that's what SIGNAL SHUTDOWN is supposed to do: you get Linux to
respond appropriately to it, and the Linux guest logs off when it's
ready.  No further action required.

Our VM people have just given the Linux 10 minutes to respond to a
shutdown
command. If you're not down, tough.  Mostly this seems to be enough
time
but occasionally one of our WebSphere guests is not all the way
down and
then the file system gets wonky or some such and repair must be done.

In that case there's probably NO amount of time that's going to
help.  However...

I was thinking perhaps with CPINT or something a more two way
handshake
thing can be done.

Yeah, you could certainly coordinate, say, cpint and the IUCV driver
to figure something out.  Haven't been there myself but it would be
not-all-that-hard.

Adam