I've gotten a little over halfway through the report now, and I believe
I now understand the major flaw in it.  The report makes a big deal of
the fact that the Enterprise versions of SUSE and Red Hat don't upgrade
versions during the life of the platform.  Only security fixes and some
functionality backports are issued.  They make the point that Open
Source development continues onward, and that new versions are released
regularly, so 3rd party developers may not develop using the same
packages on their systems that SUSE and Red Hat do.  Which is pretty
much nonsense for any major ISV.  If you want your product to run on
SLES8, and you want to certify your product on SLES8, you develop it on
SLES8.

The study designers decided to require the installation of 3rd party
products that required the system administrators to download and (in
some cases compile) and install versions of packages that were not
distributed and not supported by Novell/SUSE on SLES8.  As you say, that
pretty much makes everything that follows afterwards nonsense.

Speaking from personal experience, my team's response to that would have
been "No.  If you want that functionality, you need to find something
that will work with what Novell ships.  If that means we need to build
new servers with a newer version of SLES, OK, but we're not installing
stuff that doesn't come from Novell."

As you mention, I'm not aware of too many places that install patches
every month.  Our security teams rank vulnerabilities, and anything over
a certain level has to be patched within 30 days.  Others must be
patched within 60 days, and so on.  We typically try to keep to a
quarterly patching cycle for fixes that don't require faster responses.
I suspect the "patch every month" decision had some influence from the
Windows SA practice of "preventive reboots" on a regular basis.

The general idea of the study was a good one, but they violated some
pretty basic IT principles in their choices of how to actually do the
study.  What can I say except it seems that when MS money flies in,
reason seems to fly out for these kinds of companies.