Our vm level is 4.4 but why is the VM level relevent.
Is it common that certain linux functionality does not work under elder vm
versions?
Is there any known issues with vm4.4 vswitch and these kernels?
I searched for a bugzilla like repository like redhat has for novell/suse is
one like that available that way I can search myself a known knwoledgebase
of similiar problems.

Thanks for the answer and best regards
Lior Kesos.

On 12/19/05, Tom Duerbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running vswitch with:
>
> Welcome to SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (s390x) - Kernel
> 2.6.5-7.202.5-s390x
> It also ran well with just SP 2 applied.
>
> Our VM system is:
>
> q cplevel
> z/VM Version 5 Release 1.0, service level 0501 (64-bit)
> Generated at 08/17/2005 17:31:13 CDT
> IPL at 10/18/2005 17:12:29 CDT
>

> Tom Duerbusch
> THD Consulting

> Hello,
> We've deployed a Sles 9 on S390X architecture using vswitch on the VM
> side.
> When preforming kernel upgrade to kernel-s390x-2.6.5-7.139 from
> kernel-s390x-2.6.5-7.111.30, we lose network connectivity.
> The eth0 interface is up and running, routing table seems to be in
> order and
> yet there's no reply when pinging the GW, when pinging the static IP of
> the
> machine's own eth0 I/F there is a reply.
>
> Taken steps to diagnose the problem:
> 0. Checked boot.msg log for errors: nothing suspicious and there are
> no
> error messages.
> 1. Restarted  network service - service goes down and up again just
> fine and
> without error messages and still there's no reply when pinging the GW.
> 2. Made sure iptables is not running.
>
> After all of the above we downgraded the kernel back to
> kernel-s390x-2.6.5-7.111.30 and all was fine after reboot.
> We compared running modules before and after the upgrade and found no
> diff
> between them.
>
> Other kernels we tried with no success:
> kernel-s390x-2.6.5-7.201
> kernel-s390x-2.6.5-7.202.5
> kernel-s390x-2.6.5-7.202.7
>
> Attaching dmesg and lsmod output
> We're pretty stuck here because we have to run some tests on these
> versions
> and can not do so because we have no network.
> The wierd part is that some kernels work and some don't without any
> configuration changes we even went over the kernel changelogs and
> found
> nothing...
>
> thanks for any help or ideas...
>
> best regards
> Lior
>
> --
> Peace Love and Penguins -
> Lior Kesos

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
> or visit

Peace Love and Penguins -
Lior Kesos