From the symptoms, most likely your problem is in the external router
network.  Packets were not able to get back to the Linux guests from the
corporate intranet.  It is not enough to have the correct default routes
to get out to the network.  The network must also have routes to get back.

Harold Grovesteen

Nix, Robert P. wrote:

<<network1.jpg>>

Attached is a picture of the three "states" of the zVM / zLinux network. The
bottom is a picture of the routing that is happening now and in the past. The center is
what we tried to get to on Saturday and couldn't get to work, and the top is the way it
will ultimately be routed.

What happened Saturday was that we could talk between several zLinux images,
could talk from zLinux to zVM, and could talk to zVM from outside the router.
But we couldn't talk from the zLinux images to the outside or from the outside
to the zLinux images.

Below is the device and routing portion of zVM's TCPIP definitions:

DEVICE [EMAIL PROTECTED]  OSD 8100  PRIROUTER
LINK MFLINUX1 QDIOETHERNET [EMAIL PROTECTED]  MTU 1800

DEVICE HIPR1 HIPERS 1D00 PORTNAME GRIZZLY AUTORESTART
LINK HIP1 QDIOIP HIPR1

DEVICE TUX18 CTC F180
LINK TU18 CTC 0 TUX18

DEVICE TUX24 IUCV 0 0 TUX24 A
LINK TU24 IUCV 0 TUX24

; (End DEVICE and LINK statements)
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------
HOME
129.176.250.8   MFLINUX1
192.168.37.100  HIP1
; (End HOME Address information)
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------
GATEWAY
; Network       First           Link             MTU   Subnet          Subnet
; Address       Hop             Name             Size  Mask            Value
; ------------- --------------- ---------------- ----- ---------------
---------------
192.168.37.18   =               TU18             1500  HOST
192.168.37.24   =               TU24             1500  HOST
192.168.0.0     =               HIP1             1500  0.0.255.0       0.0.37.0
129.176.0.0     =               MFLINUX1         1800  0.0.254.0       0.0.248.0
DEFAULTNET      129.176.248.1   MFLINUX1         1800  0
; (End GATEWAY Static Routing information)
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------
START [EMAIL PROTECTED]
START HIPER1
START TUX18
START TUX24
; (End START statements)
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------

IBM's idea of netmasks is a bit squirreled, but my interpretation is that
anything in the 192.168.37 network (except 18 and 24) should be able to talk to
anyone else in the network directly, and that anything in the 129.176.248-250
network should be able to talk to anyone else directly. Anything that VM sees
that it can't directly route should go to 129.176.248.1. The default route for
the Linux guests go to 192.168.37.100, so it should flow through here to VM's
default route to get to the outside world.

I've specified "Primary router" on the definition for the VSwitch connection ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
This definition, through the "magic" of VM and virtual devices, points eventually to real device
8200. Everything was put together when I thought I was going to end up on 8100, and it was easier to
"fake" it with the virtual address than to go back and change all the places it was specified.

The actual VSwitch definition in the system config is as follows:

GRIZZLY:  Define VSWITCH VSWG rdev 8200 IP prirouter portname OSAHAL2

I'm not sure how much more I know about the problem... Is there a static route
somewhere that would keep the 192.168.37 IP addresses from routing through the
new VM 129.176.250.8 IP address? Do I have my routing horked in some way? In
either case, what do I need to do to fix the problem?

Help from any quarter will be deeply appreciated...

--
Robert P. Nix           Mayo Foundation
RO-OC-1-13 (new loc)    200 First Street SW