> Actually, it's running on top of a stripped-down Red Hat.

That is incorrect. ESX does not run on Red Hat or any other Linux based
OS. I think you are referring to the service console which is based off
of an older version of Red Hat (7.x). However, the service console is
not required for operation. In fact, you can shut the service console
down altogether and your guests will continue to run just fine. I think
people mistakenly think that the ESX hypervisor runs under Linux because
it uses a familiar Linux bootstrap process, but that is where the
similarity ends..

-Sam