HEy Gang. This is probably as obvious as warts on a baby, but I am not getting
past it.

I have a file that contains the PID's of all the clamscan processes launched by
a script.

PID_FOO

7292
7293
7294
7295
7296
7297
7298
7299
7300
7301
7302

Then I have the output of a simple grep/awk pipe: active_pids=`ps -A | grep
clamscan | awk '{ print $1 }'`

In a varaiable 'active_pids'

as a string of numbers : 7295 7300 7301 7302

How do I compare the discreet items contained in the variable to match ANY
items in the PID file. What I'd like to do is be able to check everye few
minutes, and when at last nothing in active_pids matches the PID list in the
PID_FOO file know that I can move on and do some reporting.

I've tried cmp and such but no joy.