Hence the nick name  "Virtual Mirrors"

Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
01/05/2006 07:42 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port

        To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: z/Linux to p/Linux

On Thursday, 01/05/2006 at 03:55 CET, Rod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > They won't, however, have support for 2nd level hypervisors.
>
> What do you mean by this? 2nd level up? 2nd level down?
> Running Xen/Linux & MS/Win OS' side-by-side? What exactly?

The terms "1st level" and "2nd level" are somewhat ambiguous, depending on
your point of view, aren't they?  :-)  Sorry!

A "2nd level" hypervisor is one that runs in a virtual machine created by
a "1st level" hypervisor.  This would include running Xen/Linux in a
virtual machine created by MS Virtual Server or any other hypervisor that
exploits the new Intel or AMD hardware.  The word "guest" is used as a
synonym for the more cumbersome "instance of an operating systems running
in a virtual machine".  We also use the term "under" or "on" to mean "in a
virtual machine created by"; e.g. "Running Windows under Xen/Linux".

In zSeries you can run Linux in a virtual machine created by an instance
of z/VM which is running in a virtual machine created by another instance
of z/VM in a virtual machine created by yet another instance of z/VM ....
You have entered -- The Twilight Zone <music plays>.  "Is it real?  A
funhouse full of mirrors? Or just your imagination?  You decide."

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott