Yu Safin wrote:
On 1/11/06, Post, Mark K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If the RPM name has noarch in it, it means it does not contain any
binary files specific to a particular architecture.  If it has i386,
s390x, or anything like that, it is almost guaranteed to not run on any
architecture other than the one specified.  You might get lucky if
someone made a mistake and didn't mark something as noarch when they
should have, but I wouldn't count it working.

If you don't use RPM to install something, RPM will *not* know about it.
So, no  surprise there.  If you want to install something that SUSE
doesn't provide, create a SRPM for it, and build a "binary" RPM from it.

Agree, my issue is that CPAN does not know than an RPM was installed.

As far as possible, avoid CPAN. Much/most of CPAN stuff has been
packaged in rpms.

Dag (that's really his name) has over 6000 packages for RHEL 4.

Use Google, freshmeat and/or rpmfind to find your packages. If you can't
find one for SUSE, then try building a src.rpm for RHEL on a SUSE
system. Chances are quite good it will build without a lot of trouble;
main things to watch are where it puts stuff, and scripts/triggers.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait