We just started having this problem too. Our problems started once we
migrated to the 2.6.5-7.244-s390x kernel. In reading through the PTF
(UM31428) as quoted by "Heiko Carstens", it suggests that this PTF
resolves an issue with a DIAG 308. We ran a DIAG TRACE and never saw
DIAG 308 get issued during a "shutdown -r now". We did reach the same
point in the reboot process

<Message>=========================================
md: stopping all md devices
md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
Restarting system.

And our TRACE seemed to show a DIAG 44 loop. A lot of CPU getting used
with no I/O. Again as stated in the original post, a #CP IPL brought the
server back up successfully.

Is the UM31428 PTF really the correct PTF for this issue? We're
currently running SLES9 64bit for zSeries under z/VM v5.1 too.

Mark Wiggins
University of Connecticut
Operating Systems Programmer
860-486-2792