Yes, there is a gzip for z/OS UNIX. You can download it from:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/bpxa1ty1.html

To the best of my knowledge, it is a straight port of the UNIX gzip and
does not use the hardware compression functions of the zSeries
processor.

>    we are thinking of NFS mount the z/os volume and do the gzip on the
> z/linux  and then Ftp'd the data.

What? If you NFS mount the z/OS UNIX directory on z/Linux, you will
still do a lot of IP traffic. Granted, this could be fairly fast if you
are using Hipersockets between z/OS and z/Linux. If you do this, I would
strongly suggest that you gzip with the source on the NFS mount and the
result on a "native" filesystem under z/Linux. Then ftp from the z/Linux
system to your UNIX system.

gzip </nfs/subdir/input.file >/local/subdir/input.file.gz

=====

In either case, remember that you must do a BINARY ftp of the gzip'ed
data. And once on the UNIX system, you must gunzip it AND CONVERT IT
FROM EBCDIC TO ASCII! (well, unless it truly is BINARY data. How you
would convert that is difficult to say). The gzip'ing process does not
convert the z/OS data from EBCDIC to ASCII. So you must remember to
convert it on the UNIX system. I guess using "iconv". What I'd likely
do, on the UNIX system, is:

gunzip <input.file.gz | iconv -f IBM-1047 -t ISO8859-1

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.