On Saturday, 02/04/2006 at 09:15 EST, Doug Griswold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Sorry.  I guess I didn't fully understand vipa.  You could use interface
> bonding to bond 2 interfaces into 1 to get redundancy.

The term "VIPA" varies in meaning according to the speaker and comes in
multiple flavors:
1. Same subnet or different subnet
2. Dynamic or static

Same subnet, static: When an interface fails, its IP address is assigned
to one of the remaining intefaces.  aka "IP takeover".  It is an alias
that is established only when an interface dies.

Different subnet, static:  An IP address is assigned to the host that is
independent of the IP addresses assigned to the network interfaces.  It is
standard run-of-the-mill routing magic that makes it work.

Different subnet, dynamic: As above, but the VIPA address(es) can move to
another host in a cluster based on high availability or workload balancing
neads.  This is pretty much a z/OS thing.

Linux also has an "add_vipa" command whose only job is to register an IP
address (logic dictates it is a VIPA) in the OSA card.

Channel bonding is something that occurs below the IP layer.  VIPA is an
IP thing.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott